AUSD is accepting both INTERdistrict Permit applications with a release from the student's district of residence and for provisional enrollment for students that do not yet have a release from the student's district of residence. Approved students will receive information regarding how to enroll in AUSD.
The parent/guardian of the student must:
- Download and print a copy of the AUSD interdistrict permit (incoming) application. (Available to the right)
- Complete the AUSD application
- Obtain an approved interdistrict RELEASE from the district of residence OR Download, print, and complete the PROVISIONAL ENROLLMENT form. (Available to the right)
- Gather documents that demonstrate grades, behavior/citizenship/work habits, and attendance. Documents may include:
- A Transcript (unofficial copy is acceptable)
- A report card (most recent available to the parent - does not need to be the current year)
- Teacher notes or comments
- A print out from the school's information system (PowerSchool, Aries, Best, Capteterra, etc.)
- A letter of reference signed by a school administrator, counselor or teacher
- Scan the AUSD permit application, the release or provisional enrollment form, and the additional document(s). Save the file(s). More information on how to do this can be found by clicking the links below:
- Use a printer/scanner to scan documents (A generic guide. You may need to search for your brand of printer/scanner)
- Use an iPhone to scan and save documents
- Use an android phone to scan and save documents
- Email the AUSD application, release or provisional enrollment form, and additional document(s) to [email protected] with the subject line: INTERdistrict Permit
Permit applications submitted during priority windows will be reviewed sometime after the last day of the window. IMPORTANT: Interdistrict permit applications with an approved release will have priority over applications for provisional enrollment. Provisional enrollment is being offered to support parents/guardians in choosing the best educational program for their child(ren) and to be able to enroll prior to the start of the school year. Please carefully review the provisional enrollment form to understand the legal requirements for provisional enrollment.
All accepted permits are based on space availability in select grade levels. Applications only need to be submitted once. Notifications of non-acceptance for the 2022-23 school year will begin on or before August 8, 2022. Interdistrict permits submitted after July 22, 2021 will be accepted. However, available space usually is very limited, especially at the elementary level. Interdistrict Permit Applications (Incoming) are available for download to the right.
NEW INTERDISTRICT PERMIT PRIORITY WINDOWS
Priority ONE: April 11 to May 6
Priority TWO: May 9 to June 17
Priority THREE: June 20 to July 22
Release from AUSD (Outgoing Permits)
Parents/Guardians that reside within AUSD boundaries that would like their child to attend a school in another district must complete and submit an Interdistrict Permit Application (Outgoing), along with 2 proofs of residency (see required documents to the right for acceptable proofs) and email the application to [email protected] with the subject line: INTERdistrict Permit Release. Interdistrict Permit Applications (Outgoing) are available for download to the right. Outgoing permits to be released are accepted anytime and reviewed every few weeks.
School Choice - Intradistrict Permits
Applications for an intradistrict permit will be accepted between April 1 and May 1, 2022. The parent/guardian of the student must complete an AUSD Intradistrict Choice application and submit it either by email (attach a scanned signed copy or photograph) to Lisa Terlip at [email protected] or mail to the Arcadia Education Center (AEC) 150 South 3rd Street Arcadia CA 91006. Intradistrict Choice Applications are available for download to the right.
Interdistrict Permit Transfer Applications (Only for students currently on permit in AUSD wanting to change schools within AUSD)
Applications for an interdistrict permit transfer will be accepted between April 1 and May 1, 2022. The parent/guardian of the student must complete an AUSD Interdistrict Permit Transfer Application and submit either by email (attach a scanned signed copy or photograph) to Lisa Terlip at [email protected] or mail to the Arcadia Education Center (AEC) 150 South 3rd Street Arcadia CA 91006. AUSD Interdistrict Permit Transfer Application are available for download to the right.
Intradistrict permits and transfers are only accepted during the priority window one time each year. All permit applications are collected during the application window. Once the window is closed, intradistrict permit applications are given a random priority number assigned by lottery and processed following district administration regulation AR5116.1.
Permission to Remain (PTR)
An application may only be submitted for currently enrolled students that have changed their address within the same district boundary area. If a family moves within AUSD boundaries, they may apply for permission for their child(ren) to remain at the school they are currently attending. Also, if a student on an interdistrict permit moves within the boundries of the current district of residence in which they have a release and AUSD permit, they may apply for permission for their child(ren) to remain at the AUSD school they are currently attending. These students will not need to seek a new release from their district of residence. Application is available to the right and must be submitted to the school with proof of residency documents.
5th-grade students on a PTR will matriculate to the feeder school of the current school of enrollment. An INTRAdistrict permit application must be submitted to return to the middle school of residence.
Note: Permission to Remain applications are accepted year-round. During the summer when school offices are closed, applications with proof of residency may be dropped off at the Arcadia Education Center (AEC) 150 South 3rd Street Arcadia CA 91006.
Permit Renewal is no longer required by AUSD beginning August 2018:
All students who are currently attending an AUSD school on an interdistrict permit are no longer required to submit annual or transition year permits. Once enrolled on an interdistrict permit, students will be registered automatically for the next year unless:
(1) The parent notifies the school they are returning to their district of residence.
(2) The student's permit is revoked for breach of the permit agreement which includes but not limited to - poor attendance, behavioral issues, lack of academic effort/performance.
Intradistrict permits continue unless the parent/guardian completes another School Choice intradistrict permit application or the contract is breached; Parents/guardians of students transitioning to 6th grade, who would like to apply for a school other than the middle school associated with their current school of attendance must follow the process and timelines for new intradistrict permits listed below. If no intradistrict permit is filed the student will be registered automatically.
Permission to Remain
Once a parent completes an application for permission to remain, that school becomes the home school for the student or the contract is breached. If the parent would like to change schools, the School Choice Intradistrict Permit application process must be followed. Parents/guardians of students transitioning to 6th grade, who would like to apply for a school other than the middle school associated with their current school of attendance must follow the process and timelines for new intradistrict permits listed below. If no intradistrict permit is filed the student will be registered automatically.